What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a natural, holistic treatment, which works by activating and supporting the body’s natural healing mechanisms. Reflexologists believe that different areas on your feet and hands correspond to other parts of your body, and by applying a pressure on these areas it stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system to heal itself.
By stimulating the reflexes on the feet, reflexology helps the body to release the energy blockages and find its natural equilibrium. Since reflexology treats the whole person, not the symptoms of disease, most people benefit from treatment. Reflexology can help you to maintain the homeostasis (the natural balance) of mind, body and spirit.
Some of the physical conditions reflexology can treat :
- Back Pain
- Sleep Disorders (e.g. Insomnia)
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Toxin build up
- Circulatory Problems
- Low immunity
- Digestive Disorders (e.g. IBS)
- Tension & Stress Related Conditions and so many more!!!
- Boosts confidence
- Stimulates creativity and productivity
- Reduces depression
- Improves focus and concentration
Reflexology, also, assists in releasing emotional blockages and induces a deep state of relaxation.
There are some contraindications to the treatment:
- Any contagious skin disease
- Severe varicose veins i.e. phlebitis, (Reflexology may increase pressure of blood to veins)
- Athletes foot or verrucas
- First few days of menstruation (Reflexology may make period heavier)
- Diarrhea and vomiting – cross infection
- Fever and infectious diseases (this includes severe colds and flu)
- Cancer patients (especially if they receive radiation treatments or chemotherapy)
- Unclear or severe pain (As it can trigger the condition)
- Risk pregnancies and pregnancy in first trimester
- Time after a heart attack or stroke (in the first 3-6 months massages contain big risks)
- Trapped and pinched nerve
If you have any concerns we may also advise that you check with your GP.
You may experience some contra-actions after the treatment they are called ‘Healing crisis’. As the treatment activates the body’s healing powers the accumulated products and toxins, which may have laid dormant in the body for some time, are released into the bloodstream and excreted.
The contra-actions include:
- increase of urination
- increased emotional state
- feeling more energetic
- reduction in mood swings
- feeling of tiredness
- increased sweat production
Don’t worry, they might be possible contra actions that will never occur!!!
It is important to bear in mind that reflexologist is NOT a doctor and should not profess to cure, diagnose or treat any specific condition.